Chocolate And Hazelnut Meringue Gateau
|Eggs||5 , separated|
|Caster sugar||10 Ounce (300 Gram)|
|Blanched hazelnuts||4 Ounce, toasted and finely ground (125 Gram)|
|Cocoa powder||1 Tablespoon (Adjust Quantity As Needed To Dust Filling)|
|Dark chocolate||8 Ounce, chopped (250 Gram)|
|Double cream chocolate hazelnuts||7 Fluid Ounce (200 Milliliter)|
|Hazelnuts||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Dark chocolate||2 Ounce, melted (50 Gram)|
1. Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff and gradually whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, until thick and glossy. Fold in the cornflour and ground hazelnuts until evenly incorporated and transfer the mixture to a large piping bag fitted with a 1 cm (1/2 inch) plain nozzle.
2. Draw 3 x 23 cm (9 inch) circles on 3 sheets of baking paper. Put them on separate baking sheets. Starting in the centre of each prepared circle, pipe the mixture in a continuous coil, finishing just within the line. Bake in a preheated oven, 150°C (300°F), Gas Mark 2, for 1-1 1/4 hours until lightly golden and dried out. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Peel away the baking paper.
3. Make the filling. Put the chocolate and cream in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water (do not let the bowl touch the water) and heat, stirring until the chocolate is melted. Cool and then chill for 1 hour until thickened.
4. Make the chocolate hazelnuts. Using a fork, dip the hazelnuts into the melted chocolate until coated. Leave to set on baking paper.
5. Beat the chocolate filling until it is light and fluffy and use it to sandwich the meringue layers together. Decorate the gateau with the chocolate hazelnuts and serve dusted with cocoa powder.