Skillet Lamb A La Grecque
|Ground lamb||2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Eggplant||1 Large, pared and cubed|
|Canned spaghetti sauce||15 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Basil leaf||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Mozzarella cheese slices||6 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Pitted ripe olives||4 , sliced|
1. Form lamb into a big patty and brown in a large skillet, 5 minutes on each side. Break up into chunks with spoon as it cooks; push to one side.
2. Saute onion and garlic in drippings just until tender. Stir in the cubed eggplant, spaghetti sauce, salt, pepper and basil.
3. Cover; bring to boiling; lower heat. Simmer 20 minutes, or until eggplant is tender. Uncover.
4. Cut cheese into strips; arrange in lattice pattern on top of mixture. Place 1 or 2 slices of olive in each space between cheese strips.
5. Cover; simmer for 3 minutes longer, or just until cheese begins to melt. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, if you wish.