Double Boiler Cheese Souffle
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Skim milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shredded cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Green pea sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
1. Melt the butter or margarine in a medium-size saucepan. Stir in flour, mustard, salt and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Stir in milk; cook and stir until sauce thickens and bubbles 1 minute; remove from heat.
2. Stir in cheese until melted; let cool while beating eggs.
3. Beat egg whites just until soft peaks form in medium-size bowl.
4. Beat the egg yolks until creamy-thick in a large bowl; stir in cooled sauce slowly. Fold in egg whites until no streaks of white remain.
5. Pour into the top of an ungreased, 8-cup double boiler with tight-fitting cover; cover.
6. Cook over gently boiling water for 60 minutes, or till knife inserted in center comes out clean. (Don't peek during cooking; souffle will puff high and light.) Serve at once with Green-Pea Sauce.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1172 Calories from Fat 684
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 77 g118.4%
Saturated Fat 38.4 g192.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1027.4 mg342.5%
Sodium 2234.3 mg93.1%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.5%
Dietary Fiber 0.86 g3.5%
Sugars 13.5 g
Protein 66 g131.9%
Vitamin A 59.6% Vitamin C 3.9%
Calcium 120.8% Iron 28.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet