Veal And Mushroom Ragout
|Stewing veal||3 Pound, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sweet butter||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), coarsely chopped|
|Marsala/Sweet sherry||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Beef stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Light cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Mushrooms||20 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Green peas||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. In a bowl, combine flour, salt, thyme and pepper; coat veal cubes with flour mixture.
2. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp (25 ml) butter and oil. Add veal; cook, stirring, about 10 minutes.
3. Add onions and garlic; cook 5 to 10 minutes, until softened.
4. Stir in Marsala, stock and tomato paste. Cover and cook over low heat 45 minutes, or until veal is tender. Stir in 2 tbsp (25 ml) butter and cream.
5. In a skillet, heat remaining butter; add mushrooms and saute about 4 minutes.
6. Fold mushrooms and peas into veal mixture. Cook 10 minutes longer, until peas are tender.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3989 Calories from Fat 2146
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 242 g372.3%
Saturated Fat 110.2 g551%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1318.6 mg439.5%
Sodium 6131.5 mg255.5%
Total Carbohydrates 146 g48.6%
Dietary Fiber 29.5 g117.9%
Sugars 42.7 g
Protein 293 g585.3%
Vitamin A 105.2% Vitamin C 270.4%
Calcium 61.5% Iron 90%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet