French Custard Apple Pie
|Refrigerated pastry||7 1⁄2 Ounce (For Single-Crust 9-Inch Pie, 1 Pastry, 1/2 Of A 15-Oz. Package)|
|Golden delicious apples||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whipping cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 Large|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1. Gently fit pastry into a 9-inch pie pan. Fold under any excess pastry at rim and decoratively flute edge.
2. Peel apples, cut into quarters, and core. Arrange fruit in a single layer in pastry.
3. Bake on the bottom rack of a 350° oven for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix cornstarch and sugar. Add cream, egg yolks, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk to blend.
5. Pour cream mixture over and around apples in pastry. Continue to bake until filling no longer jiggles in the center when pie is gently shaken, 40 to 45 minutes (about 35 minutes in a convection oven). 6. Let cool in pan on a rack at least 30 minutes.