Souffle With Mushroom Sauce
|Thick white sauce||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped (To Make 1/4 Cup)|
1. For Souffle set out a 1 1/2-qt. casserole; do not grease. (If necessary, a 1-qt. casserole with straight sides may be used; fold a 2-ft. piece of waxed paper in half lengthwise. Place waxed paper around casserole, cut-side down, overlapping ends of waxed paper. Secure waxed paper around casserole by tying with string.)
2. Prepare 2 cups thick White Sauce.
3. Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored.
4. Slowly spoon 1 cup of the sauce into egg yolks, while stirring vigorously. Cool to lukewarm. Set remaining white sauce aside.
5. Beat eggs whites until rounded peaks are formed and egg whites do not slide when the bowl is partially inverted.
6. Gently spread sauce over beaten egg whites. Carefully fold together until just blended. Turn mixture into casserole. Insert the tip of a spoon 1 in. deep in casserole, 1 to 1 1/2 in. from edge; with spoon run a line around mixture to form a circle.
7. Bake at 325°F. about 45 to 50 min., or until a silver knife comes out clean when inserted halfway between edge and center of casserole.
8. For Sauce Add milk to the reserved white sauce, stirring in until blended.
9. Set aside.
10. Clean and finely chop mushrooms, and onion.
11. Heat butter in a skillet.
12. Add the mushrooms and onion to the skillet. Cook over medium heat until onion is transparent and mushrooms are lightly browned and tender; with a spoon, move and turn frequently. Add to the white sauce, mixing in thoroughly.
13. Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1165 Calories from Fat 681
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 77 g119.1%
Saturated Fat 33.8 g168.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 854.6 mg284.9%
Sodium 1864.1 mg77.7%
Total Carbohydrates 71 g23.7%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25%
Sugars 42.5 g
Protein 53 g106.8%
Vitamin A 54.7% Vitamin C 39.7%
Calcium 87.9% Iron 24.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet