Classic French Style Onion Soup
|Balsamic vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Oven sauteed onions and garlic||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Minced fresh thyme/Dried thyme||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Defatted chicken broth||3 Quart (Fat Skimmed)|
|Gruyere croutons||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, shake and tilt sugar until melted and amber, 2 to 3 minutes. Immediately add vinegar, sauteed onions and garlic, and thyme. Stir until onions are deep amber, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in wine. Let mixture cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
3. Put 1/2 the onion mixture in each of 2 plastic freezer bags (1-qt. size). Seal bags and freeze.
4. Thaw 1 bag. Pour onion mixture into a 3- to 4-quart pan and add 1 1/2 quarts chicken broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often; reduce heat and simmer to blend flavors, about 10 minutes.
5. Ladle soup into bowls and add 1 gruyere crouton to each. Season to taste with salt and pepper.