Burgundy Meat Balls
|Ground beef||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Soft bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Small white onions||1 Pound, peeled|
|Small mushrooms||1 Pound, trimmed|
|Sifted all purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Canned condensed beef broth||10 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Dry red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Carrot||1 Medium, pared and sliced|
1. Combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, milk, 1 teaspoon of the salt and garlic salt in a large bowl; mix lightly until well-blended. Shape into 12 balls.
2. Melt butter or margarine in a kettle or Dutch oven; add onions and mushrooms; sprinkle with sugar. Brown quickly; remove with a slotted spoon to a shallow pan.
3. Add meat balls to drippings in kettle; brown. Combine with vegetables.
4. Blend flour and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt into drippings in kettle; stir in beef broth until smooth, then wine and carrot. Heat, stirring constantly, to boiling. Stir in bay leaf, onions, mushrooms and meat balls; cover. Simmer for 35 minutes; remove bay leaf.
5. Spoon mixture into a heated serving dish. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if you wish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3418 Calories from Fat 2031
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 227 g348.7%
Saturated Fat 92.4 g461.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 793.9 mg264.6%
Sodium 7100.4 mg295.9%
Total Carbohydrates 146 g48.8%
Dietary Fiber 15.9 g63.5%
Sugars 44.7 g
Protein 158 g315.3%
Vitamin A 233.7% Vitamin C 78.6%
Calcium 30.9% Iron 78.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet