Braised Golden Chicken
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Bacon drippings/Part drippings and shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Cut chicken into 8 serving-size pieces 2 breasts, 2 wings, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks. (Simmer bony back pieces to make broth for gravy, if you wish.) Wash chicken, but do not dry. This is important so skin will take on a thick flour coating.
2. Mix flour, salt and pepper in a bag. Shake pieces, a few at a time, to coat evenly.
3. Heat bacon drippings 1/4 inch deep in a large heavy frying pan on medium heat, or in an electric skillet to 360°. Arrange chicken in a single layer in hot fat.
4. Brown slowly for 15 minutes. When pink juices start to show on top, turn and brown the other side 15 minutes. Slow cooking, plus turning just once, gives the chicken its crisp coating.
5. When pieces are browned, pile all back into pan or skillet and cover. Lower range heat to simmer or reset control at 260°. Let chicken cook 20 minutes longer, or until it's richly golden and fork-tender.