Chicken, Mushroom & Rice Casserole
|Stewing chicken||1 (Not Cut Up)|
|Water||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Carrot||1 , scraped and halved|
|Celery tops||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Handful Of)|
|Cooked rice||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Chicken fat||6 Tablespoon|
|Light cream/Table cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Canned sliced mushrooms||8 Ounce (2 Cans, 3 Or 4 Ounce Each)|
|Canned pimientos||4 Ounce, diced (1 Can)|
|Canned toasted slivered almonds||5 Ounce (1 Cup)|
|Buttered bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Soft)|
1. Combine chicken, water, onion, carrot, celery tops, salt and bay leaf in large kettle; cover; simmer 1 to 1/2 hours, or until tender.
2. Cool chicken in stock; remove, and skin. Take meat from bones; cut meat into bite-size pieces; place in medium-size bowl. Pour 1/2 cup stock over to keep chicken moist; cover and chill.
3. Strain remaining stock into a medium-size bowl; chill; skim off fat and save for Step 5. (This much can be done the day before.)
4. When ready to complete dish, heat 1 cup stock and pour over cooked rice in large bowl; let stand while making sauce.
5. Melt chicken fat from Step 3 in medium-size saucepan, adding butter or margarine, if needed, to make 6 tablespoons. Remove from heat; blend in flour; stir in 2 cups stock.
6. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and boils 1 minute. Remove from heat; gradually stir in cream, mushrooms and their liquid, pimientos, almonds and chicken; season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Make alternate layers of chicken and rice mixtures in buttered 12-cup casserole; sprinkle buttered bread crumbs around edge.
8. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 50 to 60 minutes, or until sauce bubbles around edges and crumbs are golden-brown.