Gateau Saint Honore
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cream puff batter||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Making Filling)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Making Filling)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (For Making Filling, 1 Envelope)|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon (For Making Filling)|
|Eggs||3 , separated (For Making Filling)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (For Making Filling)|
|Vanilla||2 Teaspoon (For Making Filling)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Making Filling)|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon (For Making Filling)|
|Diced candied pineapple/0.5 cup candied mixed fruits||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Making Filling, Yellow And Green)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (For Making Filling)|
|Light corn syrup||2 Tablespoon (For Making Filling)|
|Water||2 Tablespoon (For Making Filling)|
1. Make pastry: Combine flour, sugar and salt in a medium-size bowl; cut in butter or margarine with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Blend in egg with a fork, then knead a few times until smooth.
2. Roll out pastry to a 10-inch round on a lightly floured pastry cloth or board; place on an ungreased cookie sheet; trim edge, using a dinner plate as a guide, to make a perfect round. Prick all over with a fork; chill.
3. Make cream puff batter. Attach a #8B tip to a pastry bag; fill bag with part of the batter; press out all around edge of pastry circle. (It will take about 2/3 of batter for ring. When baked, batter will puff up to form a high rim around pastry.)
4. Shape remaining batter through tube into 14 small puffs on ungreased medium-size or small cookie sheet.
5. Bake ring and puffs in hot oven (400°) 40 minutes for ring and 25 minutes for puffs, or until all are puffed, crisp, and lightly golden. Cool pastry ring completely on cookie sheet on a wire rack. Remove puffs with a spatula; cool completely on wire racks. (This much can be done a day ahead, if you wish.)
6. About 3 hours before serving gateau, make custard cream: Mix sugar cornstarch, gelatin and salt in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Stir in egg yolks and milk.
7. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, or until gelatin dissolves and mixture coats a metal spoon. Strain into a large bowl; stir in vanilla.
8. While custard mixture cooks, beat egg whites until they stand in firm peaks in small bowl of electric mixer at high speed; fold into hot custard mixture; chill.
9. Beat cream and almond extract until stiff in small bowl of mixer at high speed; fold in candied fruits; fold into gelatin mixture.
10. Make caramel syrup: Mix sugar, corn syrup and water in a small heavy skillet. Heat, stirring constantly, just until sugar dissolves, then cook rapidly, without stirring, to 300° on a candy thermometer and until syrup is light golden; remove from heat at once.
11. Place pastry ring on serving plate. Dip cream puffs into caramel syrup and arrange on ring. Fill center with creamy filling. Spoon remaining caramel syrup over puffs and ring. Chill one hour before serving but do not chill for more than 2 hours, or pastry and puffs will be soggy.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6042 Calories from Fat 2836
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 316 g486.5%
Saturated Fat 160.3 g801.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1402.2 mg467.4%
Sodium 3216.5 mg134%
Total Carbohydrates 726 g242%
Dietary Fiber 12.4 g49.4%
Sugars 319.7 g
Protein 82 g163.8%
Vitamin A 141.9% Vitamin C 2.4%
Calcium 75% Iron 83%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet