Stuffed veal with vegetable Sauce
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Basil leaf||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Sausage meat||1⁄2 Pound|
|Grated carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Chicken broth||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Spread breast of veal flat on a cutting board. (It should measure about 8"x15".Sprinkle with salt, pepper, parsley and basil. Combine sausage meat with grated carrots in a small bowl; spread evenly over surface of veal, pressing firmly. Roll up veal from short end, jelly-roll fashion. Tie crosswise with heavy string at 1 1/2-inch intervals.
2. Brown meat in butter or margarine in Dutch oven; add celery and onion; saute 5 minutes longer. Add chicken broth; simmer, covered, 2 hours, or until meat is tender. Remove meat to a carving board.
3. Strain pan juices through a sieve; press vegetables through; pour into a 2-cup measure; add water if necessary to make 1% cups. Return to Dutch oven.
4. Combine flour and 6 tablespoons water in a 1-cup measure; blend until smooth. Pour into juices in Dutch oven. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and bubbles 3 minutes.
5. Remove string from veal; cut into thin slices; serve with vegetable sauce.