Liver Pate with Aspic
|Beef liver||1 Pound|
|Chicken livers||1⁄2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Instant chicken broth/1 chicken bouillon cube||1 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Ground allspice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Thyme leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Hard cooked egg||1 , shelled|
1. Snip out any large tubelike membranes from beef liver; cut into chunks. Halve chicken livers; snip out veiny parts or skin.
2. Put both meats through a food chopper, using a fine blade; place in a medium-size bowl.
3. Saute onion in butter or margarine until soft in a small frying pan; stir in water and chicken broth or bouillon cube; heat to boiling, crushing bouillon cube, if used, with a spoon; stir into liver mixture with eggs, allspice and thyme.
4. Place 3 slices of the bacon in a loaf pan, 5x3x2; spoon in liver mixture; top with remaining bacon. Cover pan tightly with foil.
5. Set in baking pan on oven shelf; pour boiling water into pan to depth of about 1 inch.
6. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 1 1/2 hours, or until loaf starts to pull away from sides of pan; remove from pan of water; take off foil. Cool loaf, then chill overnight.
7. Make Beef Aspic.
8. Peel bacon from top of loaf; loosen loaf around edges with a knife; invert onto a plate; peel off remaining bacon. Wash pan and dry well.
9. Pour 1/4 cup of the aspic into loaf pan; place in a pan of ice and water to speed setting; chill just until sticky-firm.
10. While layer chills, halve hard-cooked egg lengthwise, cutting just through the white. Slice yolk carefully; cut white into 8 or 10 tiny flower shapes with a truffle cutter.
11. Arrange two of the yolk slices and white cut-outs in a pretty pattern on sticky-firm aspic in pan; carefully pour in another 1/2 cup aspic; let set until sticky-firm.
12. Place pate loaf over aspic layer in pan; pour in enough of the remaining aspic to fill pan to rim. Remove from ice and water; chill in refrigerator at least 4 hours, or until aspic is firm. Pour remaining aspic into a pan, 8x8x2; chill.
13. Just before serving, run a sharp-tip thin-blade knife around top of loaf, then dip pan very quickly in and out of hot water. Cover pan with a chilled serving plate; turn upside down; gently lift off pan.
14. Cut remaining aspic layer into tiny cubes; spoon around pate loaf. Garnish with radish flowers and snips of radish leaves.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1505 Calories from Fat 652
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 73 g112.4%
Saturated Fat 31.1 g155.3%
Trans Fat 0.9 g
Cholesterol 2767.7 mg922.6%
Sodium 1077.8 mg44.9%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.5%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.8%
Sugars 12.2 g
Protein 155 g310.9%
Vitamin A 2072.4% Vitamin C 107%
Calcium 23% Iron 254.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet