Shallow Fried Spiced Chicken
|Cold water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Oil/Shortening||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
1. Cut chickens into serving-size pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Refrigerate while preparing batter.
2. Beat egg until foamy in a medium-size bowl. Stir in cold water. Sift flour, salt, ginger and cloves into same bowl and beat until smooth. Chill at least 1 hour.
3.Add enough oil or shortening to a large heavy skillet to make a 2-inch depth when heated. Heat to 360° on a deep fat thermometer, or until a cube of bread turns golden in 15 seconds.
4. Dip chilled chicken pieces into batter with tongs. Hold over bowl several seconds to allow excess batter to run off.
5. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, turning often, until rich golden brown. Transfer browned chicken to a shallow baking pan. (Do not stack in pan, keep in one layer.)
6. Bake in slow oven (325°) 15 minutes, or until chicken is tender when pierced with a fork.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4959 Calories from Fat 2930
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 326 g501.4%
Saturated Fat 86 g430.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1570.4 mg523.5%
Sodium 3692.1 mg153.8%
Total Carbohydrates 123 g41%
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g21.7%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 360 g719.8%
Vitamin A 55.9% Vitamin C 52%
Calcium 27.7% Iron 138.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet