Herbed Chicken & Potato Casserole
|Broiler fryer chicken||1|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|White onions||16 Small, peeled|
|Red potatoes||12 Small (New Ones)|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Boiling water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chicken broth/1 teaspoon granulated chicken bouillon||16 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Basil leaf||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1. Sprinkle chicken cavities with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and pepper. Peel onions. Scrub potatoes; pare a band around the center of each.
2. Melt butter or margarine with the vegetable oil in a large heavy flameproof casserole or Dutch oven. Add chicken; brown on all sides.
3. Combine boiling water and chicken broth in a 1-cup measure, stirring until dissolved; add to casserole with chicken.
4. Place onions and potatoes around chicken; sprinkle with basil and remaining 1 tea spoon salt; cover.
5. Bake in slow oven (325°), basting once or twice with juices, 1 1/4 hours, or until chicken and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with parsley.