Curry Roasted Rock Cornish Game hen
|Rock cornish game hen||6 , thawed|
|Thyme leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted|
|Bacon slices||4 , diced|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Curry powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Instant chicken bouillon||2 Teaspoon|
|Apricot nectar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Carrots||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), buttered|
1. Remove giblets from body cavities of hens and save to simmer for soup. Rinse hens inside and out; pat dry with paper toweling.
2. Mix 1 teaspoon salt with pepper and thyme in a cup; sprinkle 1/4 teaspoonful inside each hen; tie legs together. Place hens, breast side up, in a jellyroll pan. Brush with part of the melted butter or margarine.
3. Roast in moderate oven (375°), brushing once or twice with remaining melted butter or margarine and drippings in pan, 1 hour. Cut away strings with scissors; spoon all drippings from pan.
4. While hens roast, saute bacon until almost crisp in a medium-size saucepan; remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper toweling. Stir onion into drippings; saute until soft.
5. Blend in flour, sugar, curry powder, chicken bouillon and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Stir in apricot nectar and lemon juice. Heat, stirring constantly, to boiling; simmer 5 minutes, or until mixture thickens slightly; spoon about half over hens.
6. Roast 10 minutes; spoon remaining curry mixture over top to make a thick coating. Continue roasting 10 minutes, or until hens are tender and richly glazed.
7. Spread rice on a large deep serving platter; arrange hens on top. Spoon carrots at each end.
Calories 417 Calories from Fat 249
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g42.7%
Saturated Fat 9 g45.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 180.8 mg60.3%
Sodium 127.3 mg5.3%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.51 g2%
Sugars 2.3 g
Protein 30 g59.7%
Vitamin A 11.4% Vitamin C 6.4%
Calcium 2.7% Iron 8.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet