Baked Chicken Creamy Gravy
|Broiler fryer chicken||1|
|Fat||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Melted butter/Margarine||3 Tablespoon|
|Cream gravy||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Cut chicken into 8 pieces 2 breasts, 2 wings, 2 thighs, 2 drumsticks. Cut away back and any small bones from breasts; simmer bones with neck and giblets in 1 cup water in small saucepan. Strain to make broth for Cream Gravy (for recipe, turn to chapter on Gravies) .
2. Shake chicken pieces with 4 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon salt, paprika and pepper in paper bag to coat lightly.
3. Brown, a few at a time, in hot fat in heavy frying pan; drain on paper towel.
4. Sift 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt into medium-size bowl.
5. Beat eggs slightly in second medium-size bowl; blend in milk and melted butter or margarine. Stir into dry ingredients; beat with rotary beater until smooth.
6. Pour batter into buttered shallow 8-cup baking dish; arrange chicken in batter.
7. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 1 hour, or until golden. (Keep oven door closed for full hour.)