Crunchy Buttermilk Chicken
|Broiler fryer chicken||1|
|Buttermilk||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Rosemary||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Shortening/Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Cut chicken into serving-size pieces.
2. Four 1/2 cup of the buttermilk into a shallow dish. Combine flour, salt, rosemary and pepper in a plastic bag.
3. Dip chicken pieces in buttermilk; shake in flour mixture to coat well. Dip again in buttermilk and flour mixture to build a thick coating. Place chicken pieces on wire rack for 15 minutes to allow coating to set Reserve remaining flour mixture.
4. Melt enough shortening, or pour enough oil, into a large heavy skillet with a cover to 1/2 inch depth. Place over medium heat. When a few drops of water sizzle when flicked into the hot fat, add the chicken pieces skin-side down. Cook slowly, turning once, 20 minutes, or until chicken is golden.
5. Reduce heat; cover skillet. Cook 30 minutes longer, or until chicken is tender. Remove cover for last 5 minutes for a crunchy crust. Place chicken on platter; keep hot
6. Pour off all fat into a cup. Return 2 tablespoons to skillet; blend in 3 tablespoons of the reserved flour mixture; cook, stirring constantly just until bubbly. Gradually add remaining 2 cups buttermilk; continue cooking and stirring, scraping to loosen brown bits in pan, until gravy is thickened and bubbles 1 minute. Taste; season with additional salt and pepper, if you wish. Spoon over chicken.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7560 Calories from Fat 5712
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 642 g987%
Saturated Fat 167.3 g836.6%
Trans Fat 54 g
Cholesterol 1124.9 mg375%
Sodium 3987.2 mg166.1%
Total Carbohydrates 122 g40.6%
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g15.1%
Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 315 g629.4%
Vitamin A 43.5% Vitamin C 40.9%
Calcium 19.8% Iron 109.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet