Crispy Chicken & Ginger Casseroles
|Broiler fryer chicken||1 , cut in serving size pieces|
|Condensed cream of mushroom soup||10 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Condensed cream of chicken soup||10 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Milk||11 Tablespoon (1/2 Cup Plus 3 Tablespoon)|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Biscuit mix||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Yellow cornmeal||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped crystallized ginger||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
1. Cut away small bones from chicken breasts; remove all skin if you prefer chicken cooked without it.
2. Arrange chicken pieces in buttered 12-cup casserole; combine the cream-of-mushroom soup, 1/2 can (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) cream-of-chicken soup (save the rest for Step 4), 1/2 cup milk and ground ginger in small bowl; mix well; pour over chicken pieces in casserole; cover.
3. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes; remove cover; stir to mix sauce and juices from chicken; cover again; bake 30 minutes longer, or until chicken is tender. Reset oven to hot (450°).
4. Combine biscuit mix, cornmeal and crystallized ginger in small bowl; mix 3 tablespoons milk with saved chicken soup; stir into biscuit mixture, mixing lightly.
5. Remove casserole from oven; uncover casserole and drop dough by spoonfuls to make 8 mounds in a ring on top of chicken.
6. Bake in hot oven (450°) about 15 minutes longer, or until biscuits are puffed and golden-brown.