Spiced Rice With Browned Chicken Livers
|Bacon slices||4 , diced|
|Chicken livers||1 Pound, halved|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Uncooked regular rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Instant chicken broth||3 Ounce (2 Envelopes, 1 Ounce Each / Teaspoons)|
|Basil leaf||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1. Cook bacon until crisp in a large skillet. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve.
2. Shake chicken livers in a plastic bag with flour, salt and pepper.
3. Brown chicken livers in bacon drippings. Remove with slotted spoon and reserve.
4. Saute onion in same skillet until soft. (If there is no fat remaining in the skillet, add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil.) Stir in rice, chicken broth, basil, bay leaf and water.
5. Heat to boiling. Lower heat; stir rice mixture well; cover.
6. Simmer 10 minutes. Spoon the browned chicken livers over rice. Return cover and simmer 20 minutes longer, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender; remove bay leaf. Sprinkle with reserved bacon and chopped parsley.