Parsley Dumplings With Chicken
|Broiler fryer chicken||2 , cut up|
|Flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Instant chicken broth/2 teaspoons granulated chicken bouillon||2 Tablespoon (2 Envelopes)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dairy sour cream||8 Ounce (1 Cup, 1 Carton)|
|Whipping cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Shake chicken in a mixture of flour, salt and pepper in a plastic bag to coat well. (Save any remaining seasoned flour mixture for gravy.)
2. Brown chicken, part at a time, in butter or margarine and vegetable oil in a kettle or Dutch oven; remove all from kettle. Pour off drippings, then measure 1 tablespoonful and return to kettle.
3. Stir in onion; saute until soft. Stir in chicken broth or bouillon, paprika and water. Heat, scraping brown bits from bottom, to boiling; return chicken; cover. Simmer 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Remove from broth to a shallow pan; reheat broth to boiling.
4. Measure saved seasoned flour, adding more flour, if needed, to make 2 tablespoons. Blend with a small amount of water to a paste in a cup; stir into broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens and boils 1 minute.
5. Blend sour cream and cream in a small bowl; stir into kettle; return chicken. Reheat slowly to boiling while mixing Parsley Dumplings.
6. Drop dough in 8 mounds on top of chicken; cover tightly. Cook 20 minutes. (Do not lift lid of kettle while the dumplings cook.)