Moussaka a'la Greque
|Eggplants||2 Large, sliced 1/2 inch thick but not peeled|
|Onions||3 Medium, peeled and chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Tomatoes||4 Medium, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped (Reserve Juice)|
|Rosemary leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Minced fresh mint/1 tablespoon mint flakes||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Cream-style cottage cheese||10 Ounce (1 Carton)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Rosemary leaf||1⁄8 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
1. Sprinkle both sides of each eggplant slice with salt; place between several thicknesses of paper toweling; weight down; let stand 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, make the Tomato Sauce: Stir-fry onions and garlic in oil in a large, heavy skillet over moderate heat about 8 minutes, until limp and golden. Add tomatoes, their juice and all remaining ingredients except tomato sauce and heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes begin to release their juices. Cover; lower heat and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally; stir in tomato sauce and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer.
3. Prepare Cheese Filling while Tomato Sauce simmers: Mix together all remaining ingredients except the 4 tablespoons oil and 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese; refrigerate until needed.
4. Brush both sides of each eggplant slice lightly with olive or vegetable oil, then broil quickly on each side to brown.
5. To assemble Moussaka, spoon half the Tomato Sauce over the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; sprinkle generously with grated Parmesan, then arrange half the browned egg plant slices on top. Spread with cheese filling; sprinkle with Parmesan. Arrange remaining egg plant slices on top; sprinkle with Parmesan. Finally, cover with remaining Tomato Sauce and one last sprinkling of Parmesan.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2363 Calories from Fat 1287
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 146 g224.1%
Saturated Fat 42.5 g212.5%
Trans Fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 356.4 mg118.8%
Sodium 9235.4 mg384.8%
Total Carbohydrates 182 g60.8%
Dietary Fiber 54.9 g219.6%
Sugars 93.3 g
Protein 105 g210.2%
Vitamin A 217% Vitamin C 349.4%
Calcium 190.4% Iron 75.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet