Chicken Tomato Casserole
|Broiler-fryer||1 Pound, cut up|
|Salad oil/Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Raw rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Saffron||1 Pinch, crushed (Just 1 Strand Would Be Enough)|
|Tomatoes||2 Can (20 oz)|
|Chopped mushrooms||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Pimientos||1 Can (10 oz), diced|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Brown chicken on all sides in hot oil in large heavy frying pan; drain on absorbent paper; place in 3-quart baking dish;
2. Saute rice in same frying pan, stirring often, about 5 minutes, or until golden-brown; add onion and garlic; saute over low heat 10 minutes, or just until tender.
3. Stir in saffron, tomatoes, mushrooms, diced pimientos, parsley, salt and pepper; heat to boiling, stirring often.
4. Pour hot tomato mixture over chicken in casserole; cover.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes; uncover; bake 40 minutes longer, or until chicken is tender and liquid is absorbed.