Cracked Wheat French Bread
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Uncooked cracked wheat cereal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 , lightly beaten|
|Sesame seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (110-120 degrees)|
|Dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
1. Place water in bowl of heavy duty stand mixer, sprinkle yeast over top and add the sugar. Let stand about 5 minutes to proof.
2. Add cracked wheat, whole wheat flour, salt and olive oil. Using dough hook, mix well.
3. Add all purpose flour. The amount you add is subjective, depending on your flour and the humidity levels at the time. You know you have the right amount of flour when the dough clings to the dough hook and doesn't leave any dough on the sides of the bowl. Knead on low to medium speed (I used 2 on my mixer) until dough is smooth and elastic. About 5 minutes.
4. Place dough in an oiled bowl and oil the top of the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise til double. About 45-60 minutes.
5. When doubled, punch down and return to mixer bowl and knead again for about 5 minutes.
6. Place dough back in oiled bowl and let rise again til doubled.
7. When doubled, punch down and turn out on to board or counter. Let rest a few minutes. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into long loaf, about 12-15 inches long. Place on baking stone or greased baking sheet. Slash the tops diagonally in 3-4 places. Brush tops with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
8. Place in cold oven and turn oven on to 375. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when turned over and tapped.