Spiced Chicken Casserole
|Stewing chicken||1 , cut in serving-size pieces|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Diced cooked ham||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White onions||12 Small, peeled|
|Canned mixed vegetable juice||12 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Apple cider||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Canned mushroom caps||4 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
1. Wash chicken pieces; pat dry. Shake with the flour and salt in a paper bag to coat thoroughly.
2. Brown pieces, a few at a time, in butter or margarine in a large frying pan; place in a 12-cup baking dish; sprinkle with ham and top with onions.
3. Stir the vegetable juices, cider, mushrooms and their liquid and garlic into drippings in pan; heat to boiling, scraping brown bits from bottom of pan. Pour over chicken.
4. Tie seasonings in a tiny cheesecloth bag; add to casserole; cover.
5. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 2 hours and 15 minutes, or until chicken is very tender.
6. Uncover; remove spice bag and let chicken stand for 5 to 10 minutes, or until fat rises to top, then skim off. Garnish chicken with parsley, if you wish.