Chicken Stew With Cornmeal Dumplings
|Stewing chicken||1 , cut up|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Poultry seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|Salad oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Medium, sliced and separated into rings|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
1. Wash chicken; drain. Shake pieces, a few at a time, in mixture of flour, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper in a paper bag to coat well.
2. Brown slowly in salad oil in a large heavy frying pan; remove. Add onion rings, saute until they are soft.
3. Return chicken to pan; add bay leaf and water; cover. Simmer 1 1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
4. Prepare Cornmeal Dumplings. Heat chicken until boiling rapidly; drop dough into 12 small mounds on top; cover.
5. Cook, covered, 20 minutes. (No peeking, or the dumplings won't puff properly.)
6. Remove chicken and dumplings to a heated serving platter; remove bay leaf; serve gravy in a separate bowl.