Skewered Chicken With Noodles
|Broiler fryer chicken||2|
|Parsley||16 Ounce, washed and trimmed (Two 8 Ounce Bunch)|
|Canned mushrooms||4 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Cream||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Hot cooked noodles||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Rinse chickens inside and out with cold water; drain, then pat dry. Sprinkle insides with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and sugar; place parsley in body cavities, packing in lightly. Skewer neck skin to back; twist wing tips flat against skewered neck skin; tie the legs to tails with string.
2. Brown in butter or margarine in a heavy kettle or Dutch oven; turn breast side up.
3. Drain liquid from mushrooms into a 1-cup measure; add water to make 3/4 cup; pour over chickens. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; cover tightly. (Set mushrooms aside )
4. Simmer, basting several times with liquid in kettle, 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until tender. Remove from kettle and keep hot while making gravy.
5. Pour liquid from kettle into a 2-cup measure; let stand about a minute, or until fat rises to top, then skim off into a cup. Add water to liquid, if needed, to make 1 cup.
6. Measure 2 tablespoons of the fat and return to kettle; blend in flour; stir in the 1 cup liquid. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens and boils 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms and cream; heat slowly just to boiling. Darken with a few drops bottled gravy coloring, if you wish.
7. Spoon noodles into a heated large serving bowl. Take out skewers and cut string from chickens; arrange chickens on top of noodles; spoon gravy over all. Garnish with parsley, if you wish. Carve chickens into serving-size pieces.