Crumbled Chicken With Spaghetti
|Broiler fryer chicken||3 , cut up|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled and sliced|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mushrooms||1 Pound, trimmed and sliced|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soft bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Regular flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Light cream/Table cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dry sherry||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Thin spaghetti||8 Ounce, broken in 2-inch lengths (1 Package)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Combine chicken, onion, 1 teaspoon of the salt, peppercorns and enough water to cover in a kettle. Heat to boiling; cover. Cook 40 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Remove from broth and cool until easy to handle. Strain broth into a 4-cup measure and set aside for making sauce.
2. Pull skin from chicken and take meat from bones; cube meat; place in a large bowl.
3. Saute mushrooms in 1/4 cup of the butter or margarine until soft in a large frying pan; combine with chicken.
4. Melt remaining butter or margarine in a saucepan. Measure out 1/4 cup and toss with bread crumbs in a bowl; set aside.
5. Stir flour, the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper and nutmeg into remaining butter or margarine in saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly. Stir in 3 1/2 cups of the chicken broth and cream. Continue cooking and stirring until sauce thickens and boils 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in sherry.
6. While sauce cooks, cook spaghetti, following label directions; drain well. Spoon into two baking dishes, 13x9x2. Spoon chicken mixture over spaghetti; spoon sauce over all.
7. Add Parmesan cheese to bread-crumb mixture and toss lightly to mix. Sprinkle over mixture in baking dishes.
8. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes, or until bubbly and crumb topping is toasted. Garnish with bouquets of watercress, sliced mushrooms and pimiento strips, if you wish.