Chicken stew with Bulgur
|Broiler fryer chicken||2 , cut up|
|Onions||4 Medium, chopped|
|Ground ginger||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Stuffed green olives||1 Bottle (1 l), drained and sliced (1 Jar)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon wedges||6 (Thin Ones)|
1. Wash the chicken pieces; pat dry. Brown, a few pieces at a time, in butter or margarine in a heavy kettle or Dutch oven; remove all from kettle.
2. Stir onions into drippings in kettle; saute until soft. Stir in salt, ginger, paprika, pepper and 1 cup water. Return chicken; cover.
3. Simmer, basting several times with liquid in kettle, 45 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
4. While chicken simmers, combine sliced olives with water to cover in a small saucepan; heat to boiling; drain. Keep hot for Step 7.
5. Remove chicken from the kettle; keep hot. Pour liquid into a 2-cup measure; let stand about 1 minute, or until fat rises to top, then skim off. Add water to liquid, if needed, to make 1 1/2 cups; return to kettle; heat to boiling.
6. Blend flour and 1/4, cup water until smooth in a cup; stir into boiling liquid. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens and boils 1 minute.
7. When ready to serve, combine olives with Bulgar; spoon onto a heated serving platter; arrange chicken on top; sprinkle with chopped parsley. Arrange lemon wedges, petal fashion, in center. Pass gravy separately.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5068 Calories from Fat 3061
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 339 g521.8%
Saturated Fat 112.6 g563%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1487.9 mg496%
Sodium 8798.5 mg366.6%
Total Carbohydrates 136 g45.3%
Dietary Fiber 25.3 g101.4%
Sugars 36.1 g
Protein 356 g711.2%
Vitamin A 147% Vitamin C 226.4%
Calcium 47.5% Iron 127.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet