Navy Beans Cassoulet
|Dry pea beans||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Navy)|
|Water||12 Cup (192 tbs)|
|Duckling||4 1⁄2 Pound (Fresh Or Frozen)|
|Salt pork||1⁄2 Pound, diced|
|Hot italian sausage links||1 Pound|
|Stalk celery||1 , cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Carrots||6 Large, each cut into bite-sized pieces|
|Onions||2 Large, quartered|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Rinse beans with running cold water, discarding any stones or shriveled beans. In 8-quart Dutch oven over high heat, heat beans and 12 cups water to boiling; cook 3 minutes. Remove Dutch oven from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans; return beans to Dutch oven.
2. Meanwhile, rinse duckling with running cold water. Cut off as much fatty skin as possible. With poultry or kitchen shears, cut duckling into 2-inch pieces (refrigerate giblets and neck for soup another day).
3. In 12-inch skillet over medium heat, cook salt pork until lightly browned. With slotted spoon, remove salt pork to large bowl; set aside. In drippings remaining in skillet, cook duckling pieces until browned on all sides; remove duckling to bowl with salt pork. Pour off drippings; reserve 2 tablespoons.
4. In same skillet over medium heat, heat sausages and 1/4 cup water to boiling. Cover; simmer 5 minutes. Remove cover; continue cooking until water evaporates and sausages are well browned on all sides, turning sausages frequently, about 20 minutes. Remove sausages to paper towels to drain. Refrigerate.
5. In 5-inch square of cheesecloth, tie parsley, celery, bay leaf, garlic, thyme, and cloves; add to beans in Dutch oven. Stir in carrots, onions,wine, salt, salt pork, duckling, reserved drippings, and 7 1/2 cups water; over high heat, heat to boiling. Cover and bake in 350°F. oven 2 hours. Stir in tomato sauce and sausages; cover and bake 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until beans and duckling are tender.
Calories 447 Calories from Fat 210
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.9%
Saturated Fat 7.3 g36.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 143.4 mg47.8%
Sodium 421.4 mg17.6%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8%
Dietary Fiber 8.7 g34.8%
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 33 g65.5%
Vitamin A 63.7% Vitamin C 10.7%
Calcium 7.1% Iron 28.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet