Blanquette Of Veal
|Veal shoulder/Veal breast||2 Pound, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Carrots||3 , cut into pieces|
|White onions||12 Small, peeled and left whole|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Small mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, sautéed in a little butter|
|Butter||1 Teaspoon (For Sauteing Mushroom)|
|Croutons||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Parboil the meat in a deep kettle in water to cover five minutes. Drain and add to the meat about four cups water and the carrots and onions.
2. Tie the parsley, celery, leek, bay leaf, garlic, peppercorns and thyme in a cheesecloth bag and add to the meat. Add the salt, bring the mixture to a boil, skimming as necessary, and simmer, covered, until the veal is tender, or about one and one-half hours.
3. Remove the meat, carrots and onions to a serving dish and keep warm. Remove the cheesecloth bag and discard.
4. Boil the broth until reduced about two-thirds. Cream the butter with the flour, add to the broth and boil, stirring, one minute.
5. Mix the cream and egg yolks, add to the broth and heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens. Do not let it boil or the cream will curdle. Strain over the meat and vegetables. Garnish with mushrooms and croutons.