|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Onions||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Potatoes||1 Quart, thinly sliced|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Watercress||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Light cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Heat the butter in a large saucepan. Add the garlic and onions and saute until tender, about five minutes.
2. Add the potatoes, seasonings and three-quarters cup water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer fifteen minutes or until the potatoes are almost tender.
3. Cut the watercress stems into one-eighth-inch lengths. Coarsely chop the leaves.
4. To the potato mixture add all the watercress stems, half the leaves, the milk and water. Cook fifteen minutes. Puree in blender or put the mixture through a food mill. Return to the saucepan and reheat.
5. Blend together the egg yolks and cream. Gradually stir into the soup and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Garnish with the remaining watercress leaves