Ragout Of Beef Hunstman
|Dried red kidney beans||1 Pound, washed|
|Beef chuck||2 Pound, cubed|
|Onions||4 , sliced|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Red wine||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Rutabaga||1⁄2 , cubed (Also Called Yellow Turnip)|
|Potatoes||4 Medium, pared and cubed|
|Carrots||1 Bunch (100 gm), pared and sliced|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes with liquid||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cooked julienne green beans||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dairy sour cream/Sour cream substitute||2 Cup (32 tbs), chilled|
1. Bring 6 cups water to boiling in a Dutch oven. Add kidney beans and boil 2 minutes. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour.
2. Add 2 teaspoons salt to beans in soaking liquid and simmer covered 2 hours, or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, season beef with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides in shortening in a saucepot.
4. Add onions and sprinkle with paprika and chili powder. Cook onions until lightly browned, stir ring occasionally. Add wine, cover, and simmer 2 hours.
5. Add the raw vegetables and water. Simmer, covered, until tender, about 45 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, and green beans. Heat thoroughly. Thicken gravy with the flour (mixed with cold water to form a smooth paste)