Ragout Of Beef Hunstman
|Dried red kidney beans||1 Pound, washed|
|Beef chuck||2 Pound, cubed|
|Onions||4 , sliced|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Red wine||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Rutabaga||1⁄2 , cubed (Also Called Yellow Turnip)|
|Potatoes||4 Medium, pared and cubed|
|Carrots||1 Bunch (100 gm), pared and sliced|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes with liquid||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cooked julienne green beans||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dairy sour cream/Sour cream substitute||2 Cup (32 tbs), chilled|
1. Bring 6 cups water to boiling in a Dutch oven. Add kidney beans and boil 2 minutes. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour.
2. Add 2 teaspoons salt to beans in soaking liquid and simmer covered 2 hours, or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, season beef with salt and pepper. Brown on all sides in shortening in a saucepot.
4. Add onions and sprinkle with paprika and chili powder. Cook onions until lightly browned, stir ring occasionally. Add wine, cover, and simmer 2 hours.
5. Add the raw vegetables and water. Simmer, covered, until tender, about 45 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, and green beans. Heat thoroughly. Thicken gravy with the flour (mixed with cold water to form a smooth paste)
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6819 Calories from Fat 2622
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 294 g452.9%
Saturated Fat 128.1 g640.4%
Trans Fat 3.9 g
Cholesterol 837.9 mg279.3%
Sodium 6154 mg256.4%
Total Carbohydrates 611 g203.8%
Dietary Fiber 122 g487.9%
Sugars 73.9 g
Protein 328 g656.2%
Vitamin A 569% Vitamin C 547.4%
Calcium 166.2% Iron 367%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet