French Bread A La Corn Meal
|Cooked corn meal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry yeast||2 Teaspoon|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Skim milk||1 Cup (16 tbs), scalded|
|Unbleached flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Prepare cooked corn meal recipe and cool slightly.
2. Sprinkle yeast over warm water.
3. Put sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add scalded milk. Stir. Add cooked corn meal. Mix well and cool to lukewarm.
4. Add 1 cup flour and yeast mixture. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 10 minutes.
5. Put in a bowl, cover, and let rise until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
6. Punch down. Let rest 10 minutes and form into a long loaf. Gash top diagonally with sharp knife, 1/4 inch deep every 2 1/2 inches apart. Cover; let rise until double, about 45 minutes.
7. Bake at 400Â° for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350Â° and bake for 30 to 35 minutes longer. Put a pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven. The additional moisture causes a hard crust to form on the bread. Cool before slicing.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3359 Calories from Fat 161
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.1%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.6 mg1.5%
Sodium 1201.1 mg50%
Total Carbohydrates 701 g233.6%
Dietary Fiber 60.6 g242.5%
Sugars 19 g
Protein 105 g210.1%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C 3.9%
Calcium 44.5% Iron 214.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet