|Granulated sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sifted confectioners sugar||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs) (10X)|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Yellow food color||2 Drop|
|Peppermint extract||2 Drop|
|Red food coloring||2 Drop|
1) In a large, granulated sugar, cream of tartar and water.
2) Place the pan over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves, then cook, to 226°F on a candy thermometer; remove from heat.
3) Allow to cool to 125°F, and slowly beat in 10X sugar, salt, and vanilla until smooth and syrupy-thick.
4) In second bowl, measure 1 1/2 cups of sugar mixture, set the remaining aside.
5) Hold the glazed cakes, one at a time on a fork over bowl, spoon on the first layer of frosting to cover completely.
6) Slide each cake onto a rack set over wax paper, using a toothpick.
7) Push any frosting that drips onto paper back into bowl.
8) Leave the cakes to stand for 2 hours, or until frosting is firm.
9) Divide the remaining frosting into three custard cups.
10) Mix the almond extract into one cup.
11) Fold in lemon extract and a few drops of pale yellow food coloring into the second cup.
12) Mix in a few drops peppermint extract and red food coloring into the third cup.
13) Divide the frosted cakes in 3 parts.
14) With a part of the frosted cakes, hold, one at a time, on a fork over almond-frosting cup; spoon frosting over cakes to cover tops and sides completely.
15) Perform step 6 with remaining plain frosted cakes, covering half of them with lemon frosting and the remaining half with peppermint frosting.
16) Allow to stand for 4 hours, or until frosting is completely dry.
17) Use the cakes as desired.
Calories 1124 Calories from Fat 1
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.06 g0.09%
Saturated Fat 0.02 g0.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 122.4 mg5.1%
Total Carbohydrates 285 g94.9%
Dietary Fiber 0 g0%
Sugars 279.7 g
Protein 0.01 g0.02%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 0.2% Iron 0.22%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet