|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Extract||1 Teaspoon (Any Flavor)|
|Food color||3 Drop|
1. In a pan cook combining sugar, water and cream of tartar over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
2. Wash down side of pan and cook to 238° on candy thermometer which is near the highest degree for soft ball stage.
3. A little syrup when dropped in cold water forms a ball which will just hold its shape when picked up.
4. Immediately pour onto platter or marble slab without scraping syrup from pan.
5. Let the mixture cool to lukewarm and then begin working with wide spatula, scraping fondant from outside edge toward center.
6. Continue working, using a wooden spoon if necessary, until the fondant is white, creamy and firm and then knead well, until smooth but not flaky.
7. Put in a bowl and set aside with cover 12 to 24 hours to ripen.
8. To all or part of fondant add few drops of any desired extract to taste, using about 1 teaspoon per pound and tint with a few drops of food color if desired.
9. Mix the Fondant with desserts or serve as desired.
Calories 490 Calories from Fat 2
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.24 g0.37%
Saturated Fat 0.08 g0.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 3.9 mg0.2%
Total Carbohydrates 126 g42%
Dietary Fiber 0 g0%
Sugars 125.4 g
Protein 0.04 g0.08%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 0.1% Iron 0.34%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet