Basic Cooked Fondant
|Granulated sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
1. Combine sugar, salt, corn syrup and water in a large, heavy saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to the boil. Wrap a fork with damp paper toweling; wipe sugar crystals from side of pan as mixture cooks.
2. Reduce heat to medium and cook, without stirring, to 240° on a candy thermometer. (Syrup forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water.)
3. Pour syrup onto a dampened, large platter or marble slab, if you have one. Do not scrape pan. Cool to 110°, or until mixture feels lukewarm.
4. Beat mixture with a broad-bladed spatula, or a new stiff-bladed putty knife (from the paint store), until white and creamy, scraping and lifting mixture from the edge toward the center, turning the platter occasionally. Continue beating until fondant becomes very white and stiffens.
5. Knead fondant until it softens and is smooth; do not overknead. Pack into a plastic refrigerator container; cover. Refrigerate at least 2 days to ripen.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1633 Calories from Fat 1
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.06 g0.09%
Saturated Fat 0 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 260.8 mg10.9%
Total Carbohydrates 423 g141%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 407.7 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 0.8% Iron 0.23%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet