Using Granary Flour
|Granary flour||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Strong white flour/6 oz of this plus 2 oz bran||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Bicarbonate of soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk/Milk and water mixed||1 Pint (Just Under 600 Milliliter)|
1. In a large bowl add granary flour.
2. Sieve in white flour, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar and salt along with bran, if used.
3. Thereafter gradually mix with milk until dough is soft but not wet.
4. On to a floured board turn out and knead fairly quickly until smooth.
5. Onto a large circle about 3-5 cm / 1 1/2 inches thick flatten the dough.
6. On a greased baking tin place it.
7. Score over the top a large cross (this ensures even distribution of heat).
8. Let it bake in a moderately hot oven, Gas 5, 375° F, 190° C, for about 50 to 60 minutes.
9. Test with a skewer to check that it is fully cooked. The skewer will come out clean if the bread is ready.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2680 Calories from Fat 245
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g42.1%
Saturated Fat 9.3 g46.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 48 mg16%
Sodium 3505.1 mg146%
Total Carbohydrates 503 g167.7%
Dietary Fiber 31.5 g126.1%
Sugars 50.4 g
Protein 106 g211.1%
Vitamin A 9.8% Vitamin C
Calcium 57.8% Iron 60.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet