Winter Garden Flounder
|Flounders||2 1⁄2 Pound (2 Pieces, 1 1/4 Pounds Each)|
|Jerusalem artichokes||1 Pound|
|Cider/White wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) While purchasing, ask the seller to fillet each fish into 4 pieces.
2) Make a court bouillon with the trimmings.
3) Peel the artichokes and thinly slice them.
4) Rinse the leeks and trim them. Thinly slice.
5) In a shallow flameproof casserole, melt the butter and add the vegetables. Cover with a lid and gently cook for about 5 minutes.
6) Add the wine or cider along with the juice of half of the lemon and strain just enough court bouillon to cover the vegetables.
7) Once again cover the casserole and cook gently over low heat for about 30 minutes, till the artichokes are soft enough.
8) Add a seasoning of salt, freshly ground pepper ad lemon juice to the fish fillets and fold them in half. Place on top of the vegetables.
9) Cover the casserole and gently cook over low heat for about 10 minutes.
10) To a warm plate, remove the fish and reduce the liquid left behind in the pan slight. Stir the cream into the reduced liquid.
11) Taste and if required, adjust the seasoning. Replace the fish and thoroughly heat once again.
12) Serve hot with buttered peas.