Bluegill is one of the popular species of freshwater fish which originates in North America. The fish is known as bream in the southern parts of United States. This fish is commonly caught and served in restaurants around Arkansas, Texas and Illinois and it derives its name from the blue points on its tail. The fish is considered predator in some regions of the world and not used for food.
Method of Preparation
The fish contains tight flesh and can be cooked in the following ways-
- Frying- The fillets are dipped in the some spicy batter and then rolled over the breadcrumbs and fried in the oil until it starts flaking. The choice of batter purely depends on the taste preferences of individual.
- Baking – The fish fillets are seasoned with little oil and then topped with Italian salad dressing or any other dressing prior to baking in the preheated oven.
- Broiling – The fish fillets are arranged on a baking tray and seasoned with spicy mix and broiled for about 4-5 minutes until the fillets starts flaking. The fish is basted with the spicy mix or suitable dressing throughout the cooking time.
- Boiling and Simmering – The fillets are boiled or simmered for about an hour or two prior to cooking with spicy mix. The fish is simmered for about an hour with the spicy mix and then served hot over the freshly cooked rice.
Following are some the dishes commonly prepared using the fillets of bluegill fish-
- Fried Bluegill - This appetizer is prepared by double dipping the fish fillets in oil. The dish is accompanied by a tangy sauce.
- Fish Salad – This is a very easy salad which is prepared using the leftover fillets of fish. The fish is flaked and combined with some ingredients like mayonnaise, sweet pickle, and celery. It is served fresh over rice.
- Fish Chowder – This appetizing soup is prepared by cooking the fish fillets with grated vegetables and spices. The soup is thickened by the addition of choux.
- Bluegill and Kraut Sandwich- This sandwich is usually served as a snack and it is prepared using ingredients like the fish fillets, sauerkraut, dill pickles, mayonnaise, horseradish, rye bread, margarine and Swiss cheese. All ingredients are sandwiched between bread pieces and then grilled until both sides turn golden. The sandwich is served with a cold drink and chips.
- Fish Cocktail – Generally shrimp is used for making the fish cocktail. It is also prepared using bluegill fillets. The fillets are cooked in the boiling water for about half an hour and then mixed with cocktail sauce. The mixture is chilled prior to serving in the regular cocktail glasses.
Each serving of bluegill fish gives out 96 calories with 17 grams of protein, 3 grams of total fat, 1 gram of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat, 306 mg of potassium, and 101 mg of cholesterol.