Fish Braised in Chili Bean Sauce
|Fish||1 1⁄2 Pound, cleaned, with head and tail attached (trout, carp, sea bass)|
|Peanut oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shaoxing wine||2 Tablespoon (1-2 or medium dry sherry)|
|Chili bean paste||4 Tablespoon (Sichuanese)|
|Fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Chicken stock||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|White sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Light soy sauce||2 Teaspoon (1-2)|
|Black chinese vinegar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Scallion||3 , finely chopped (green parts only)|
|Cornstarch||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon (dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water)|
1. With a sharp knife make 4-5 shallow diagonal cuts on each side of the fish.
2. Pierce its head a couple of times.
3. Sprinkle salt, and rice wine inside and out of fish. Rub to spread evenly. Set aside.
4. Place a wok on high flame, and heat 1/3 cup of oil until smoking.
5. With a paper towel, pat the fish dry, and drop it into the oil. Fry briefly, just long enough to crisp the skin of fish. Remove from wok, and let the fish drain on paper towel.
6. Rinse, and dry the wok. Return it to medium flame and pour 4 tablespoons of fresh oil in it.
7. In hot oil, add chili bean paste, and fry for 20-30 seconds or until fragrant.
8. Drop ginger and garlic. Fry for an additional 20 seconds or until it smells delicious.
9. Pour stock, turn the heat up, and bring it to a boil.
10. Throw sugar, and soy sauce. Mix.
11. Gently place the fish back into the wok. Spoon some of the sauce over the fish.
12. Reduce the heat, and let it simmer for 8-10 minutes or until fish is cooked. Flip the fish once during the cooking time, and spoon over more sauce.
13. On a serving platter, gently transfer the cooked fish, leaving sauce in wok.
14. Put the wok back on flame, and add cornstarch mixture, black vinegar, and scallions in it. Stir and cook until the sauce thickens.
15. Pour sauce directly over the fish, and serve it hot with sauteed greens.
If you have enough oil, you can also briefly deep-fry the fish.
Calories 1050 Calories from Fat 624
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 70 g108.1%
Saturated Fat 11.9 g59.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 181.7 mg60.6%
Sodium 1579.6 mg65.8%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g7.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.3%
Sugars 5.8 g
Protein 75 g150%
Vitamin A 12.6% Vitamin C 12.1%
Calcium 9.3% Iron 21.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet