Fish Au Gratin
|Frozen cod steaks||1 Pound, frozen (4 pieces)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shredded cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Soft white bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Margarine||1 Teaspoon (for greasing)|
1) Grease 4 scallop shells or individual heatproof dishes lightly.
2) Preheat broiler to medium heat.
3) Into a heavy-bottomed skillet, put the frozen fish steaks and pour water over them.
4) Add the bay leaf, onion and seasoning and bring the contents to a boil.
5) Reduce the heat, cover the skillet and let the contents gently simmer for about 15 minutes.
6) With the help of a spatula, lift the fish and onion out of the liquid. Strain the liquid and reserve it.
7) Once the fish is cool enough to handle comfortably, flake it and divide between the prepared dishes or scallop shells. Set aside.
8) In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of margarine and sprinkle in the flour.
9) Stir over low heat for a minute or two, till the mixture is straw-colored.
10) Take the pan off the heat and stir in the reserved fish liquid and milk very gradually.
11) Put the saucepan back on the heat and simmer, stirring, till the mixture is thick and smooth.
12) Take the pan off the heat again and add half of the shredded cheese. Stir well till the cheese has melted. Season to taste.
13) Over the fish in each shell, spoon the cheese sauce, dividing it equally.
14) Mix together the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs and sprinkle the mixture all over the sauce in each shell. Dot with the remaining margarine.
15) Broil the shells under the preheated broiler till the tops are golden brown in color and the preparation has heated thoroughly.
16) Place the cooked Fish Au Gratin on a serving plate and serve while still piping hot. The preparation makes an excellent appetizer. Can also be served as a side dish.
Calories 402 Calories from Fat 193
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.4%
Saturated Fat 8.5 g42.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 33.1 mg11%
Sodium 373.7 mg15.6%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.5%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 33 g66.1%
Vitamin A 17.9% Vitamin C 4.4%
Calcium 26.2% Iron 5.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet