Anchovy and Bacon Rolls
|Crusty rolls||4 (Round)|
|Bacon slices||1⁄4 Pound, chopped|
|Onion||1 , finely minced|
|Mushrooms||2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Anchovy fillets in oil||2 Ounce, drained and chopped (1 Can)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Finely shredded cheddar cheese||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Margarine||1 Teaspoon (For Greasing)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) Grease a cookie sheet lightly.
3) From the top of each roll, cut a small slice and carefully hollow out the bread-€™s center with your fingers to leave a neat, empty shell.
4) Make bread crumbs with the top slices and bread center. Set aside.
5) In a skillet, melt the margarine. Add the onion and bacon and cook gently for about 5 minutes, till the onion is tender and lightly colored.
6) Add the mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes.
7) To a large bowl, transfer the bacon mixture and add the reserved bread crumbs, egg, anchovies, parsley, two-thirds of the cheese and lots of pepper. Stir well to mix thoroughly.
8) Divide the prepared stuffing into 4 equal parts and use it to stuff the hollowed rolls. Top with the tomato slices and sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese.
9) Transfer the stuffed rolls to the greased cookie sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
10) Transfer the hot stuffed rolls to a serving platter and serve while still hot. These make an excellent appetizer and can also be served as a side dish or even a snack.
Calories 554 Calories from Fat 252
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.6%
Saturated Fat 12.6 g63.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.8 mg35.3%
Sodium 1342.2 mg55.9%
Total Carbohydrates 48 g15.9%
Dietary Fiber 2 g7.9%
Sugars 4.3 g
Protein 24 g48.8%
Vitamin A 22.1% Vitamin C 7.9%
Calcium 38.3% Iron 19.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet