Steamed Fish With Ginger And Spring Onions
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Sesame oil - 1 teaspoon
Spring onions - 4
Dried chinese mushrooms (glossary) - 2-3, soaked and shredded (optional)
Pork fillet - 2 oz (50 g), thinly shredded (optional)
Light soy sauce - 2 tablespoons
Chinese rice wine - 1 tablespoon
Fresh ginger root - 1 tablespoon, thinly shredded
Oil - 2 tablespoons
1. Choose fish that is scaled and gutted.
2. With a cloth or kitchen paper wash and dry it well both inside and out.
3. Score both sides of the fish diagonally as far as the bone at intervals of about 1" (2.5cm).
4. Rub the salt and sesame oil inside and outside the fish.
5. Place it on top of 2-3 spring onions on a platter.
6. In a bowl mix the mushrooms and pork (if using) with a little of the soy sauce and wine.
7. Stuff about half of this mixture inside the fish and place the rest on top with the ginger.
8. In a hot steamer place the platter and steam over a high heat for 15 minutes.
9. Thinly shred the remaining spring onions.
10. In a little saucepan heat the oil until bubbling and place the fish removing it from the steamer.
11. Arrange the spring onion shreds on top, pour the remaining soy sauce and wine over it and then pour the hot oil over the whole length of the fish.
12. Serve the fish hot spooning around the liquid.