Stock - About 1/2 pint (280ml)
Oil for deep-frying
For the marinade:
Light soy sauce - 2 tablespoons
Dark soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
Chinese rice wine - 3 tablespoons
Soft brown sugar - 2-3 tablespoons
Five-spice powder - 2 teaspoons
Spring onions - 2, finely chopped
Fresh ginger root - 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
1. To prepare the marinade in a bowl mix light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, Chinese rice wine, soft brown sugar, five-spice powder, finely chopped spring onions and finely chopped fresh ginger root.
2. With kitchen paper or towels pat dry the fish keeping the skin on.
3. Marinate in the marinade for at least 30 minutes, then add the stock and bring to the boil.
4. Simmer for 10 minutes, then remove the fish and drain reserving the sauce.
5. Deep-fry the fish in very hot oil (190°C/375°F) for 4-5 minutes until golden and crisp, remove and immerse in the sauce.
6. Leave to cool for 2-3 hours before taking the fish out to dry.
7. Strain the sauce and store in the refrigerator for up to 4-€” 5 days to be used again.
8. Cut the fish into small slices and serve cold.