Herring Au Gratin
|Sliced cooked potatoes||8 Medium|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||2 Tablespoon|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Soak cleaned herring in water for at least 12 hours.
2) Preheated oven at 425°F.
3) Remove the skin and bones from the herring and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
4) In a baking tray, make layers of the herring, potatoes, and onion.
5) Dust each layer with pepper and add bread crumbs over the final layer.
6) Brush with butter and place in oven for 30 minutes.
7) Garnish with lemon slices and serve.