Rice Salad With Anchovy Dressing
|Long grain rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Anchovy fillets||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Hard-cooked egg||1 Large|
|Powdered mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||5 Tablespoon|
|Green chili pepper||1|
|Sweet red pepper||1|
|Fennel bulb||1 Small|
|Pitted ripe olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped chives||1 Teaspoon|
1) In boiling salted water, cook rice for 15 minutes till tender.
2) Drain the rice and rinse under cold water to cool.
3) Drain anchovies and reserve half for garnish.
4) Peel the carrot and make shallow grooves at intervals lengthwise.
5) Thinly slice the carrot.
6) Peel onion and finely chop it.
7) Thinly slice chili pepper; seed and slice them.
8) In a mortar, put the anchovies and pound to a paste with the pestle.
9) Shell and finely chop eggs.
10) Add egg to mortar with mustard and pound together, gradually adding oil a few drops at a time.
11) Season the egg and anchioves.
12) In the large bowl, place sliced carrot with rice.
13) Add onion to the rice.
14) Thinly slice fennel; chop fennel tops and add to salad.
15) Toss lightly.
16) Chill salad and dressing for 30 minutes.
17) In a serving dish, put salad and arrange reserved anchovies on top with olives and chives.
18) Serve the salad with dressing.