Ham Stuffed Bass
|Dried chinese mushrooms/1/3 cup numbers fresh mushrooms||6|
|Chinese dried shrimp/1/2 cup cooked shrimp||6|
|Smoked ham||1⁄8 Pound, diced|
|Water chestnuts||6 , diced|
|Minced parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced scallions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ice water||2 Tablespoon|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced ginger root||2 Teaspoon|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Split the fish and debone, remove the head.
2) Remove the meat of the fish carefully with tearing the skin.
3) If dried mushroom and shrimp are used, soak them in lukewarm water for 15 minutes.
4) Drain the mushrooms and shrimps.
5) Chop the fish meat, mushrooms and shrimps.
6) In a bowl, mix the fish, mushrooms, shrimps, ham, water chestnuts, parsley, scallions, salt, pepper, ice water, 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
7) Mix well spread on the inner side of the fish skin and form into a mound.
8) Cover with the other side of the fish skin and press edges together.
9) Secure with toothpick if necessary.
10) Dip the fish in remaining cornstarch.
11) In a wok heat the remaining oil and brown fish on both sides.
12) In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce, sherry, sugar, ginger and water.
13) Pour the soy sauce mixture over the fish, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
14) Turn the fish once while cooking.
15) Serve the fish carefully on a warm serving platter and pour the sauce over it.