Sweet and Sour Pungent Fish
|Carrot||1 , julienned|
|Sweet pickle||1 Tablespoon, julienned|
|Chopped ginger root/Preserved ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Minced onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Carp/Snapper / bass||3 Pound (1 piece)|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
1) Pare the cucumber and cut in half lengthwise.
2) Scoop the seeds of cucumber and cut in juliennes.
3) In a bowl, combine together cucumber, carrots, pickle, ginger, onion, 1 teaspoon salt, sugar, vinegar and water.
4) Let the vegetables marinate foe 3/4 hour.
5) Clean the fish but leave it whole.
6) In a saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to boil.
7) Add in remaining salt and 2 tablespoon of oil.
8) Place the fish carefully in the saucepan.
9) Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, turn off the heat and let the fish steam until tender.
10) Drain the vegetables reserving the marinade.
11) Mix the marinade with cornstarch and soy sauce.
12) In the skillet, heat the remaining oil and brown the garlic in it.
13) Add the marinade stirring frequently until thickened.
14) Taste for seasoning, add little sugar if needed.
15) Add the vegetable and just let them heat.
16) Place the fish carefully on the serving platter and spoon the sauce and vegetable over it.
Calories 492 Calories from Fat 204
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35%
Saturated Fat 3.8 g18.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 149.7 mg49.9%
Sodium 2359.7 mg98.3%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8.1%
Dietary Fiber 0.55 g2.2%
Sugars 6.7 g
Protein 41 g82.3%
Vitamin A 36.5% Vitamin C 9.2%
Calcium 10.7% Iron 17.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet