Spiced Baked Carp
|Whole carp||3 Pound (1 Fish)|
|Butter||2 Teaspoon (For Greasing)|
|Mixed spice powder||1 Teaspoon (Use Ground Mace, Cloves, Nutmeg And White Pepper)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|To tie in a cheesecloth, as a herb bundle:|
|Fresh thyme sprig||1 , tied|
|Lemon rind strip||1|
|Canned anchovy fillets||2 , drained and chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled and quartered|
|Dry white wine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||To Taste|
|Lemon slices/8 fried parsley sprigs||4 (To Garnish)|
1. Scale, wash and clean the carp, removing fins.
2. Rinse, then dry.
3. Butter a fairly deep baking pan which will just hold the fish lying flat.
4. Place the carp in the pan.
5. Season it inside and out with the spice mixture.
6. Sprinkle it with salt and black pepper.
7. Add the herb bundle, chopped anchovy fillets and quartered onion to the pan.
8. Pour the wine over the fish.
9. Heat the oven to 350°F.
10. Cover the pan tightly with buttered foil, and bake the fish for 45 minutes or until the fish is tender.
11. While baking, blend together the butter and flour.
12. Carefully remove the fish, and drain it on paper towelling.
13. Place it on a warmed platter, and cover it with buttered foil. Keep it warm while you complete the sauce.
14. Strain the cooking liquid into a small pan and boil it for 3 to 4 minutes, to strengthen the flavour.
15. Remove from the heat, and stir in the blended butter and flour in small spoonfuls.
16. Stir until the butter has all melted.
17. Return to the heat, and stir constantly until the sauce thickens slightly.
18. Add lemon juice to suit your taste, and add extra salt and pepper if you wish.
19. Pour the sauce around the carp.
20. Garnish the top of the fish with lemon slices or fried parsley sprigs before serving.